Monday, March 10, 2014

Whats on your grocery list?

Yesterday, after a work out that about killed my body, I hit the grocery store like I do every Sunday.

Sundays at my house mean laundry, homework, workout, grocery store and meal preps! Sundays are busy, but I get a lot done and I love it! :)

While I was at the store, I was in the spices isle looking for something Ms. Dash! A mother, who had her son who was probably 4 years old in her buggy was right next to me. The  little boy saw everything in my cart and was asking him mom, whats that? What are those? BANANAS! haha. Mom explained to him that I had a pineapple, spaghetti squash, peppers, etc. in my cart. I was kind of blown away that the child did not know what some of the foods were like a pineapple to even a watermelon...squash I understand, peppers, maybe....

I have also had a number of people ask me what I buy, how much I spend at the store a month and how can I afford to buy fresh clean foods versus prepackaged and processed foods?

I actually only spend about $300 a month on  food and house holds things like tp, paper towels, cleaning products and those things we have to buy once every couple months or so...I don't know if that is a lot or a little..but for me its a lot less than it was in the past when I wasn't eating clean.

UNLESS...Andrew adds a bunch of junk food to the list for some reason and every now and then he will do that. I won't buy it all, but I will buy a few things.

I also pack Andrews lunches and he will buy fast food once a week (because he wants to, I'd rather pack another lunch for him..) and I don't eat fast food...ever..really..I think I have maybe once in the past 6 months. That alone, saves us a lot of money.

So what do I buy...?



Once a week I buy:
-various fruits..
Bananas
berries either strawberries or blue berries
pineapple 
-veggies..
peppers
squash
zucchini 
sweet potatoes
tomato
onion

Once a month I add on things like..

Chicken
fish
turkey meat
eggs
lettuce
mushrooms
nut butter
oats
beans
almonds/mixed nuts
low sodium broths
 
For Andrew I also buy, these things maybe once a month but I rarely eat any of it..
granola bars
milk
cheese
cereals
lemonade mix
canned soups
bread
tortillas
pasta noodles
pasta sauces

I'm sure I missed a couple of things.

OH and I can't forget Bailey-
He eats his dog food and carrots! which I buy maybe once every 2 months.

I also buy spices and things like mustard, salsa, and things for the house every few months as well.
I will add on thing here and there for recipes, but typically, this grocery list will cover everything I need to cook. I just may buy an extra pepper or some veggies for a recipe.



 I skip those middle isle, unless there is something I had to grab for Andrew! I try to buy the least amount of processed foods and If It is something processed, it needs to be as close to clean as possible! :)
I feel better eating this way and couldn't imagine going back.

What do you buy? Sit down and look at your grocery list...Are these things that you should be consuming on a daily or weekly basis?

I am getting closer and closer to my goals, I can't wait for summer! For once in my life, my stomach isn't the area that I want to hide in my swim suites! Its my legs this year...More leg work outs here I come!!!! yahhh!!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment